For geeky enthusiasts like ourselves, Netflix has just released The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance as a 10-episode series. Yes, this is the same world of The Dark Crystal way back in 1982 of Jim Henson's puppets. However, the Netflix series is a prequel to the original movie. Here's the synopsis:
This new series remains due to puppet artistry with intricate sets enhances by modern CGI VFX. It also boasts a great voice cast of famous geek fandom celebrities comprising Sigourney Weaver as The Myth Speaker, Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones) as Deet, Taron Egerton (Kingsman) as Rian, Anya Taylor-Joy (Split, Glass) and Brea, Jason Isaacs (Star Trek Discovery) as Emperor of the Skeksis, Simon Peg (Star Trek), Mark Hamill (Star Wars), Benedict Wong (Marvel's Doctor Strange), Awkwafina (Crazy Rich Asians), Alicia Vikander (Tomb Raider), Helena Bonham Carter, Mark Strong and more.
|Gelfling Deet voiced by Nathelie Emmanuel (Missandie from Game of Thrones). |
Photo source Netflix
|Scary Skeksis receive famous voices the likes of Mark Hamill, Simon Peg, Jason Isaacs.|
Like a bonus of Netflix users, the original cult classic The Dark Crystal is also available for streaming. Those new to the world of Thra may wish to take opportunity to binge watch in the 10 episodes prequel series before viewing the original movie for a chronological experience, much like younger Star Wars fans today may watch the movies in sequence from Episode I to VIII.
The following feature is provided by Netflix as a guide to its features that support binge watching:
Tanggal tiga-puluh-satu, bulan lapan lima-puluh-tujuh. If you read that with the late Sudirman Arshad’s ‘Tanggal 31’ tune in your head, it’s one of those things that make you truly Malaysian. That’s right - Merdeka!, Merdeka!, Merdeka!
This year, Malaysia celebrates its 62nd year of freedom, marking the anniversary of the day the Federation of Malaya gained independence from the British rule on the 31st of August 1957. Cue the display of fireworks and the flag-waving patriotism while we spectate the grand parade along the iconic Dataran Merdeka. Every year, this is how we pay homage to our founding fathers, Tunku Abdul Rahman, Tun V.T. Sambanthan, Tun Tan Cheng Lock and many more Malaysians who fought tooth and nail to ensure that we had the freedom to be our own democratic nation.
Fast forward to 2019, Malaysians are enjoying a different kind of freedom, now with the seamless convenience of connectivity and the power of choice in a click of a few buttons. And Netflix offers just that. The freedom to choose from more than 140 million hours of TV shows and movies, and watch as much as you want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected device. The best part is that you also have the freedom to play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments. Heck, you can even make choices for the characters of Black Mirror: Bandersnatch and choose how the story unfolds.
Additionally, there are other ways to #BebasBersamaNetflix:
- Freedom to watch anything, anywhere, anytime, regardless of connection speed
- Save your data plan. The Smart Downloads feature only turns on when you're connected to Wi-Fi, so your data plan will never be used.
- Save space. When you finish watching a downloaded episode, Smart Downloads will delete it, then automatically download the next episode in the series. If you would rather keep watched episodes on your device, you will need to turn off Smart Downloads so you can manually manage your downloaded content.
- Freedom to protect your loved ones
- Kids Profiles. Profiles allow different members of your household to have their own personalized Netflix experience, built around the TV shows and movies they enjoy. You can have up to five individual profiles within a single Netflix account.
- Choose Your Categories. There are four maturity levels for parents to choose from. Depending on the maturity level selected, you can access and view content that is appropriate for each of those levels from For little children only to All maturity levels.
- Set Up Your PIN. Set up a 4-digit PIN that will allow you to restrict particular content that you deem unfit for your children. This applies across all the profiles, deterring kids from circumventing it by switching to your account.
- Freedom to embrace your Malaysian pride
- Freedom to choose your preferred language
- Freedom to choose your own narrative
- Puss in Book: Trapped in an Epic Tale Puss in Boots has fallen into a magic book ruled by a sneaky storyteller. Only you can help our hero find his way in this interactive story!
- Buddy Thunderstruck: The Maybe Pile They’ve got a bag full of dumb ideas, and you’re the one who gets to tell them which silly stunt to try next.
- Stretch Armstrong: The Breakout Villains are rampaging through Charter City and Flex Fighters -- Jake, Ricardo and Nathan -- need your help to halt the chaos.
- Minecraft: Story Mode Take control of an adventure set in the Minecraft universe. The future of the world is at stake, and your decisions shape the story -- so choose wisely!
- Black Mirror: Bandersnatch In 1984, a young programmer begins to question reality as he adapts a dark fantasy novel into a video game. A mind-bending tale with multiple endings.
- You vs Wild You vs. Wild is a survival show starring and following Bear Grylls in every episode on a survival show taking place in various remote locations around the world, and with a key feature of a branching narrative with multiple choices within the episode, where a user may direct the course of the story.
Follow what's coming up on Netflix from Facebook and YouTube.
P.S. from Outpost:
Did you know Netflix's big-budget historical epic Marco Polo was filmed in Malaysia at Pinewood Studios, Iskandar Johor? It ran for 2 seasons from 2014 to 2016 starring Lorenzo Richelmy as the namesake Marco Polo, Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan, Joan Chen as Empress Chabi and Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh as Lotus (in full martial arts glory). You may also spot a few Malaysia actors appearing like Patrick Teoh.
|Mistress of Martial Arts Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh as Lotus in Netflix's Marco Polo Season 2.|
Binge watch all 20 episodes this Merdeka on Netflix and marvel at this "Buatan Malaysia" production.
This article written for purpose of fan engagement without intent to infringe trademarks and copyright of their respective owners.